Wednesday, October 24, 2007

He was flying high, like a paper bag caught in an updraft...

I remember pretty well Dad's version of being a soccer coach, which was to repeatedly remind us players: no matter how fast, big or strong you are, there's always someone faster, bigger or stronger out there. Mom used to say: never forget that you're unique, just like everyone else.

On my way home from the gym tonight I pulled into the local grocery store to pick up a few items. I walked over to the fruits and veggies section of Fry's, ripped off a couple of plastic bags from the spindle, and mulled around the fruist display near to a couple of large grapefruits. As I made my selections I placed each item in its own individual plastic bag and set them in my cart. Just then I overheard a young couple in the aisle next to me discuss their own purchases. The husband was arguing with his wife over a couple of items she wanted to buy.

"But these sausages are like five bucks for only eight of them... what about the other pack?"
"C'mon, those are gross, way too fatty. They're on sale because nobody wants them."

At that exact moment, eavesdropping on two strangers and holding a grapefruit the size of Dave Goff's torsional nut, it hit me, the rigamarole of it all. As different as we all are, we all do the same stuff throughout our lives. It's just the way it is.

You go to the grocery store and bag a bunch of fruit, you put it in your cart, you pull it out of the cart so it can be scanned, then the checkout bagger bags that already bagged fruit and puts it back into your cart, then you take your haul home and unbag all the items and toss the bags under the kitchen sink or in the utility closet or wherever.
Question: Joe Lieberman, James Bond and MC Hammer - what do they all have in common? Answer: They have to get their trash over to the local grocery store and bag some fruit once a week. Well, my boy Hammer probably bags the fruit more often, since he works there part time, but you get the idea. You can't get around it, it's just life. 99.9% of people in this nation are doing it, the bland, tedious mundane stuff of life because they can't afford to hire a butler.

Husbands across the globe are looking at their wives and thinking: why does your haircut cost 4 times more than mine? Wives all over the world are wondering: why is my husband so cheap? Parents all worry about their kids, especially when she says something so truly bizarre that you wonder if blasting Rage while she was in utero was a bad idea. Kids all think their parents are too strict, too old-fashioned, too lame and too cheap. Newsflash to the parents: your kids are on to something.

Amy and Aaron just had a baby. Congratulations. Well guess what guys, (ir)regardless of how well you put on that diaper - stretching out the diaper tabs so they'll seal off the lower back as an escape route, cinching up the sides such that the little poo-holding pouch is perfectly placed beneath sweet Hailey's not-so-sweet butt - YOU WILL HAVE BLOWOUTS! There will be times when you'll sit there peeling off Hailey's little cotton unitard, soaked with a pungent yellow-orange coating of colon-custard, thinking: I KNOW we didn't feed here this much junk today. Yeah, you did. It is what it is, and all parents deal(t) with this crap, pun intended. Pass the wipes, please.

I suppose what I mean to say is no one is unique. We all deal with the same problems, insecurities and imperfections. Life marches on until it stops marching, meaning we die. We're all mortal. Angela Bassett may have been Waiting to Exhale but she was also waiting to die. I don't mean to be grim, but standing in the grocery store made me think of all this, for some odd reason.
The only silver bullet we have is to live well (or live strong, if you're a Lance Armstrong fan). We can minimize risks and heartache by making ourselves right by the Lord and right by ourselves, aligning our own moral compass with God's will. The cool thing is that no one can take that accomplishment away from us. What we can't avoid is the tedium and insanity of life, and even if we could, what would be the fun in that? Maybe we just have to find the right things in life to live for... jackass!... Some pics of one of my "things" below...

7 comments:

The Olson Family said...

For the last time, they're called onesies.

But nice work on this entry--thoughtful, well written. . .definitely something you can be proud of, jack@ss.

IAmTheWalrus said...

I guess we are all just fruit-baggers in essence.

Holly, I think they should be called twosies, since that's what they are used for, jack@ss.

momila said...

MC Hammer works at your grocery store?? Cool!
Amy calls 'em poop bags and I for one think y'all are just too darn obsessed with your offspring's oupourings. Pops and I wrangled cloth diapers so we really had a lot to deal with, jack@ss.
Staying up late and writing brings out the poet in you, Boo, nice job.

Kellie/Joe said...

Lance Armstrong is a tool.
MC Hammer is actually a preacher, nor a grocer. Also, I would not dare call the Hammer a "fruit-bagger" to his face. You can't touch that.

I'm never having children. Every day, thinking about all you alls dealing with babies and stuff...just reminds me that it's something I can't hang with.

Jackass.

Team Oakeson said...

Beautiful! I don't want to have to call you a jack@ss too, so we'll just say this. There have already been many blowouts with which we have put up.

momila said...

Well, I for one and supremely proud of the fact I brought willingly and lovingly five little weasels into this world who are all supremely and wonderfully UNIQUE (just like everybody else) and I LOVE to read your comments on your own blogs and to each other. YOU GUYS are what makes my life worth living. Poop and all. And grandchildren are just the whipped cream and cherries on the ice cream of life.

IAmTheWalrus said...

Oakesons:

I think you mean, "There are many blows out up with which you have put."